Friday, September 7, 2012

that wide wild sky.

I saw Edward Sharp and the Magnetic Zeroes perform a couple of years ago at the Newport Film Festival. And when I say perform, I mean they really put on a show; it was fun, a little raucous, and really illustrated how some bands can actually play music live.

Anyways, I was browsing Spotify the other day looking for new music, and I saw that Edward Sharpe had released a new album, Here. I've always thought that they were a lot weirder than they seemed in "Home", which is a great mainstream indie song, by the way. Here definitely continues and builds on their combination of sing-songy innocence and freak folk tendencies, while adding a little more of the back porch banjo spirit.

"I Don't Want to Pray" is my favorite track on the album, and they all just look like they enjoy what they do so much in this performance.



It is kinda funny that I am attracted to this piece as I am an agnostic, if not an atheist. There is often just so much joy and community in spiritual songs. See Ladysmith Black Mambazo's "This IS The Way We Do".

Also I forgot that Nora Kirkpatrick is in Edward Sharpe. She is awesome in Dorm Life, the best webseries ever. Watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment