Sunday, January 2, 2011

well it's not always sunny in philadelphia.

Today at the extremely early time of eight thirty (ok well early for the on-break college student) my dad picked me up so that we could embark on our journey to pennsylvania to see some relatives. It's the first leg of my two week trip down the east coast. It took us about six and a half hours to get down here and thus we barely made it in time to see the Rodin museum in Philadelphia. It was my first time, as far as I remember, visiting the museum, and although I knew I had heard of Rodin I don't think I could have really identified his art. Well, consider me a convert. Although I only had about forty five minutes to pursue the small museum, I really liked what I had the chance to experience.


This is one of my favorites. The picture doesn't really encapsulate all the struggle and pain expressed in the actual sculpture, but it gives you an idea. The positions of the fingers are just extraordinary. It seems like the pose is so impossible it can only happen when you are doing it subconsciously because of pain. The extremity comes across as meaningful instead of over the top. I also love the texture of the hand. A lot of Rodin's work is rougher, which I think really gives the pieces a lot of visual depth.

After spending some time at the museum, we headed over to the Hyatt to meet up with my grandparents and watch the eagles just barely lose to the cowboys (bummer).

We had dinner at a really lovely Greek restaurant right around the corner called Estia. I have always been a big fan of Greek food so it wasn't really a stretch for me to like the place, but it was still really enjoyable.


How good do these eggplant and zucchini chips look?


Overall, it was a great day and I am so thankful for having such a wonderful family. (The picture is of Phyllis and Rick, my pseudo-grandparents)

No comments:

Post a Comment