Sunday, January 30, 2011

don't be cruel to a heart that's true.

So I kind of pride myself on being one of those people who actually likes to read and can just sit down and do it for a while, but the last couple of weeks I have totally been skimping. Ok, well maybe the last few months. My life is just so busy here that I can't even get through a book unless I'm forced to for a class. And even then it's not certain that I will finish it. But I've decided that I need to get more into the routine of reading regularly and I have found a solution that kind of worked last semester and I will try my hardest to employ this semester. Basically I just sleep in on Sundays and have a long leisurely brunch/lunch (I kinda sleep in late) and read for about an hour. I managed to do this a couple of weekends in the fall but I really want to get into again. I mean when one of your friends mentions your "library" you have to actually have a leg to stand on when you recommend books.

There are a couple of books that I am in the middle of that I really need to finish. Like The Bell Jar, which I am about seventy pages into. It is pretty good so far, though I don't feel depressed yet. Maybe yet is the key word there.

I also have the need to read books before I watch the movies they are made into. I just want to be able to conjure up my own ideas of the characters before I seen how other people see them I guess. So I need to read Water for Elephants, Jane Eyre, and One Day (which my mom really recommended anyways). And those are just the ones that are coming out this year. I also want to read Brideshead Revisited and Mystic River but those were made into movies a while ago. Harry Potter, Breaking Dawn, Winnie the Pooh, and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo are also being made into movies but I've read all those already (duh Harry Potter, and, regretfully Breaking Dawn).

I'm also really excited about some of the movies coming out of Sundance. Maybe this is the first year that I've really paid attention, but it seems like there are a ton of fantastic films showing up at the legendary festival this year. Like Crazy, the new film starring Anton Yelchin (freaking adorable) and Felicity Jones, is getting great reviews. Count me in. And Felicity Jones is apparently fabulous in it. Which is awesome. She is super cute and was very good in the 2007 adaptation of Northanger Abbey for Masterpiece Theater.

So basically I have a lot to look forward to. But I really do need to get more consistent about my reading. And do my homework. Which I am procrastinating doing with this blog post.

And can I just say how much I love all music from about the mid-thirties to the fifties? My book for my American Popular Music in the 20th century class came with two cds full of music and that is what I've been listening. You know, I'm just your normal eighteen-year-old.

No comments:

Post a Comment