Monday, January 3, 2011

the wonderful world of children's books.

So for Christmas my mom got me a collection of short stories by none other than the amazing Roald Dahl. I haven't really gotten a chance to read much yet, but I am so excited to get started. I have been obsessed with Roald Dahl for what feels like forever. he was undoubtedly my favorite author as a child, and i really believe that his work stands the test of time and maturity level. And I've heard that his stuff for adults is darker and really funny so I'm really looking forward to jumping in. Looking back now I feel like The Witches was my favorite book. Scared the crap out of me the first time I read it, but after multiple readings I succumbed to its charm, and really embraced it. Especially the beginning when the grandmother was telling the little boy all those stories about how witches were real, that was my favorite.

And Matilda. I loved that book. First of all that little girl was the shit. Super smart, acidic wit, and appropriately vengeful? What more could you ask for as a protagonist? And Miss Honey. She was a pretty awesome teacher/adopted mom. And the Trunchbull. She was bonkers, but in the best way. A perfect villain.

So today when my dad and I went into the bookstore to get belated christmas presents for my little cousins, I knew exactly what to get them. Or more specifically my ten-year-old cousin Halle. My four and five-year-old cousins can't really appreciate the magic of Dahl. Yet. I grabbed a pink spine from the shelf and surveyed the classic Quentin Blake cover of the girl genius. The thing is, I don't remember the cover being pink. Not that there is anything wrong with pink but I feel like it is trying to market the book only to girls and it is clearly a book that both sexes could enjoy. My personal copy came from the hospital library. And I know what you're thinking. No, I didn't steal it, my mom gave it to me (she worked at the hospital at the time), though I've never really questioned why she had it...

Anyways, as I am feeling inspired by Dahl, I thought I would find some pieces that remind me of my favorite books...


First, of course, is The Witches. I tried to go for something a little less obvious here, no pointy hats or anything, and if you know the story of The Witches than you understand the significance of mice. Basically it is part of the evil plan of the Grand High Witch to get rid of all children. I just thought this ring was adorable. I love the ears and the paw (not sure if paw is the right word but whatever) over the nose, and I'm really surprised how natural it looks to have the tail extend like that.

So for The Fantastic Mr. Fox I was originally thinking that I would do a piece of jewelry. I thought I would do jewelry for all three books. But I saw this calendar and it was just too perfect. You can totally see Mr. Fox and crew sailing the high seas in an ocean so perfectly whimsical.


Finally, we have this cute little book pin for Matilda. I love the bleeding color and the way the book is opened. An opened book visually is a lot more interesting and always kinda reminds me of that scene in Harry Potter 2 when Tom Riddle's diary opens with a blinding light to engulf Harry. But that's just me.

Whew, that was a long one. Happy Tuesday everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment