Friday, April 8, 2011

you shouldn't let other people get your kicks for you.

So I've never really been into Bob Dylan. I've always thought of him as one of those artists like Radiohead or Nirvana that a lot of people like and have posters of and all that but don't really know that much about musically or personally. I'm not saying that I don't like some of these bands. I have posters of Belle & Sebastian and The Beatles in my room, arguably two of the most culty bands. I'm saying that I would just feel like it would be cheating to like him without liking all of him, you know? Or am I just completely crazy?

I mean I do like "Subterranean Homesick Blues", but to be completely honest I only know it because of a commercial. Which is shameful, but true (and so evocative of my generation).

Also my stepdad took my mom to a Dylan concert about ten years ago and she left because apparently he was so horrible. So that doesn't exactly help my opinion of him. But this is the woman who lived through the 70s and didn't know who "Stairway to Heaven" was by. So she's not exactly "with it" all the time. But I love her anyways.

But I think I'm going to give it a try. Bob Dylan, hold onto your socks, I'm coming for you.

And who knows, maybe for this girl, times they are a-changin'. (See, I got the puns down already.)


On a completely unrelated note, I am really into Fresh Air right now. The Aziz Ansari bit was good, but this interview was fantastic. It was before Stephen Colbert had the Colbert Report and it is very strange to hear him sound so sincere. But great as well. He's so sweet and intelligent, really gives Jon Stewart a run for his money.

No comments:

Post a Comment